The Psychologists’ Association of Alberta is the voice of, and for, psychology in Alberta. We are the voluntary body that advocates for psychology in Alberta, informs the public and the media, and advocates for consumers of psychotherapy, psychological, and mental health services.
The Mission of the PAA is to advance the science-based profession of psychology and to promote the well-being and potential of all Albertans.
Vision PAA & Its members are recognized leaders in enhancing the psychological health of all Albertans.
We provide professional development and networking opportunities for our members, have an active communications strategy, and operate a province-wide referral service. We support many initiatives that seek to enhance psychological health and wellness in our province.
Since 1996 PAA has been the primary professional association for Albertan psychologists. We are a separate organization from the College of Alberta Psychologists [CAP]. CAP is the regulatory body for the profession in the province.
- Albertans have a right to work in psychologically healthy workplaces
- Mental and behavioral health publicly funded services must reach parity with funding for physical health publicly funded services based on the burden of disease.
- All Albertans, regardless of income, should have access to psychological services.
- Mental health counsellors and psychotherapists should be recognized by their professional title. The use of the generic title, “Mental Health Therapist” is a disservice to Albertans.
- Mental health counselling and psychotherapy should only be provided by regulated health professionals with at least a master’s degree in psychology, counselling, psychotherapy, social work (in clinical practice), or by a psychiatrist.
- The services of psychologists for the assessment & treatment of mental health problems & disorders of Albertans should be covered by the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan
- All Alberta students should have timely access to meaningful and effective School Psychology service.
- Discrimination harms, diversity strengthens; diversity increases tolerance and psychological health and is the model for a caring society
2015-2020 Strategic Plan Goals
Promote strong PAA membership
Strengthen psychology’s voice in Alberta. Through improving access, influencing social policy, advocacy, and public education
Influence the training of Alberta psychologists to shape the future of the profession
Maintain a collaborative relationship with the College of Alberta Psychologists to strengthen our role and provide unity for the profession
Enhance good governance