Do you believe in the power of ideas, possibility, and in building community?
The Alberta University of the Arts (AUArts) is looking for an inclusive and compassionate Counsellor to join the Student Services team.
This is a permanent, full-time position and hours of work are 35 hours per week.
Alberta University of the Arts rests on the traditional Treaty 7 Territories of the Blackfoot people and in the spirit of our collective effort to promote reconciliation, we acknowledge the traditional territories and oral practices of the Blackfoot Confederacy, which includes Siksika, Piikani and Kainai, the Tsuut’ina, the Stoney Nakoda First Nations (Bearspaw, Chiniki and Wesley), Metis Nation Region III, and all those who make their homes in the Treaty 7 Region of Southern Alberta.
AUArts is a community of thinkers, shapers, makers and risk takers. We are students, faculty, staff and alumni rich in diversity of culture and thought, challenged to fearlessly explore what moves us, drives us, and implores us to see the world differently.
The Alberta University of the Arts offers its 1,100 students studio-based programming that leads to a Bachelor of Fine Arts in one of nine disciplines, a Bachelor of Design in one of two, and an MFA in Craft Media. It has deep roots in Calgary’s creative community and will soon be celebrating its centennial.
Reporting to the Dean of Students, the Counsellor provides individual counselling to AUArts undergraduate and graduate students to support their personal, career, and academic goals, within a brief therapy model in accordance with professional codes of ethics. The Counsellor will effectively build relationships within a community of students, faculty, staff, and external parties to support student mental health throughout the organization.
- Conduct intake/screening appointments and determines support plans for students using multiple sources of information (screening interview, referral information, standardized questionnaire, etc.)
- Provide individual counselling for undergraduate and graduate students within a brief therapy model for issues including personal, interpersonal, social, vocational, and educational concerns
- Respond to mental health emergencies and other crises, as appropriate
- Triage ad hoc, urgent, and regular bookings, scheduling and coordinating appointments
- Create and maintain client records in accordance with professional standards
- Advise on utilization of additional on/off campus resources
- Consult with other members of the AUArts community (faculty, staff, students) in support of student mental health
The successful candidate will have:
- Graduate Degree in Counselling/Clinical Psychology or Social Work
- Professional designation as a Registered Psychologist, Licensed Counsellor, or Registered Social Worker in Alberta
- 3-5 years related counselling experience
- Demonstrated experience managing client files and records
Preferred attributes include:
- Experience providing counselling services in a post-secondary setting
- Experience providing counselling to international students
- Experience providing counselling to indigenous people, and/or LGBTQ2S+ communities
- Knowledge of post-secondary legislation, policies, and procedures
For more information, including how to apply, please visit the careers page of our website: https://www.auarts.ca/about-auarts/careers-auarts