Mosaic Primary Care Network
Primary Care Manager – Social Work and Mental Health
Location: NE/SE Calgary
Employee Status: Regular Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Reporting To: Senior Manager Clinical Programs
Date Available: Negotiable
Rate of Pay: To commensurate with qualifications and experience
Closing Date: October 14, 2022
Mosaic Primary Care Network (PCN) provides a wide range of primary health care services in the northeast and southeast Calgary communities in partnership with a group of family doctors. Our talented interdisciplinary health care teams work together to provide services that best support patient needs.
We want YOU to bring your expertise to our growing team as we continue to develop solutions to meet the needs of our local community. If you have initiative, are resourceful, engage easily in teamwork, and most importantly, want to make a difference in healthcare, we want to hear from you!
The Primary Care Manager (PCM) is responsible for providing leadership to a large team (25-30 direct reports) of Mental Health and Social Work clinicians within a community clinic setting. The Primary Care Manager facilitates the delivery of services that ensures all programs meet the objectives of the Patient’s Medical Home set out by the MPCN business plan, in collaboration with member family physicians and external partners, and incorporates the assessed needs of the population served by the MPCN. The Primary Care Manager will provide strong leadership and mentoring to front-line Mosaic PCN staff and external partners and participates in program area management processes and meetings.
Operational Leadership & Supervision
- Provides oversight of daily clinical operations and the delivery of mental health and social work services at MPCN and community physician clinics
- Provides direct leadership, supervision, and mentorship to a team of Registered Psychologists, Social Workers and Program Supervisors
- Manages performance of staff in adherence to the Collective Bargaining Agreement and HR processes
- Actively fosters and supports staff satisfaction and positive team dynamics though regular team building, consultation, engagement, and transparent communication
- Supports the professional development and excellence of team members through regular feedback, evaluation, mentorship, and coaching
- Recruits, orients, and mentors new team members and facilitates professional development opportunities at the team level, and through supporting individualized development goals
- Supports the resolution of patient concerns and appropriate direction or escalation of patient feedback; supports team members in addressing challenges with patient care provision or patient concerns
- Liaises and consults with PCN member physicians to support integrated mental health and social care services in the Medical Home
Program Development & Quality Improvement
- Fosters a culture of continuous quality improvement; collaborates with and motivates direct reports to develop, test, implement, and monitor initiatives to improve patient care experiences and operational efficiency
- Supports inter-professional practice and role optimization; collaborates with the broader leadership team to enhance program delivery in other reporting areas utilizing team resources
- Identifies key challenges and opportunities and provides subject matter expertise and leadership; supports the development of evidence-based and innovative approaches to achieving organizational objectives and goals
- Follows best-practice and change management principles to guide successful design and implementation of organizational and program level initiatives
- Maintains strong relationships with community partners and an ongoing awareness of the local psychosocial/mental health service landscape
- Participates as a member of the Clinical Management team and broader Mosaic Management team to support the development and achievement of organizational objectives and goals
Outcomes Monitoring & Reporting
- Routinely reviews performance metrics to monitor key performance indicators and ensure data entry compliance and accuracy
- Utilizes available data to inform decision making and integrates data collection and monitoring into all program areas in accordance with PCN reporting requirements and expectations
- Collaborates with the Measurements and Evaluation team to improve and enhance outcomes measurement processes and improve program level performance monitoring and reporting
- Works with Senior Manager and Director to ensure financial accountability to program budgets
- Supports the Senior Manager of Clinical Programs and other members of the leadership team identifying priority issues to be addressed and initiatives to be undertaken within the portfolio of responsibility
- Ensures the Senior Manager and Director are aware of emerging trends; assists in modifying business plans and practices as required to leverage opportunities and mitigate emerging concerns
- In consultation with the Senior Manager and portfolio Director, leads the development of the program in accordance with best practice and organizational goals
Policies, Procedures and Control
- Ensures the ongoing adherence to the Collective Bargaining Agreement and HR processes in all personnel decisions
- Maintains accountability for investigating, reporting, and following-up on occupational health and safety issues, privacy breaches or incidents, and professional practice or conduct concerns
- Participates in the development, implementation and monitoring of safeguards, systems, and procedures to ensure the accuracy, integrity, and privacy of clinic and patient information and the organization’s financial, human, and capital assets
- Establishes and appropriately maintains documentation of program operations, clinical processes, and participates as a subject matter expert in the creation of broader clinical policy, operational, and procedure development
Qualifications & Requirements
Education & Licenses
- Baccalaureate degree in a health care related field from an accredited university is required; Master’s degree preferred
- Current registration with an appropriate professional association or regulatory body, as applicable
- Additional courses or certifications specific to the practice environment and clinical population may be required
- Minimum 5 to 7 years’ experience in a health care or related community setting with a mental health/psychosocial focus
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ leadership and/or management experience in a health care or related community setting with a mental health/psychosocial focus.
- Prior experience managing staff in a unionized setting is an asset
- Experience leading program planning, project management, and quality improvement processes to increase the efficiency and efficacy of an organization
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in change management processes and principles
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership skills; ability to excel in leading and mentoring a professional clinical team, and in developing and executing the strategic development of the program areas of responsibility
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to effectively interact with diverse professional and patient stakeholders and navigate challenging or delicate conversations with tact and diplomacy
- Advanced critical thinking and strategic problem-solving abilities; ability to balance competing priorities and approach challenges with attention to the impacts on all stakeholders and service users
- Robust understanding of social determinants of health and their intersection with physical health and healthcare system access
- Strong understanding of intercultural practice and the ability to support cultural and gender diversity and inclusion within the organization, and in the delivery and design of program services
- General knowledge and awareness of major mental health disorders, service user needs, and associated counselling treatment interventions for adult populations
- Working knowledge of the social work scope and population service needs in a primary care setting
- General knowledge and awareness of professional ethics and standards of practice for the College of Alberta Psychologists and Alberta College of Social Workers
- Strong understanding of the primary health care and healthcare system in Alberta, with an emphasis on mental health and social service pathways
- Able to thrive in a dynamic and integrated team environment through strong relationship building skills, group problem solving abilities, and shared information and responsibility
Why Mosaic PCN
We provide a competitive benefits package for eligible employees including: comprehensive health and dental coverage, Health Care Spending Account (HCSA) / Taxable Spending Account (TSA), a group RRSP matching program, professional development opportunities, generous vacation and other paid time off, and more!
Conditions of Employment
Occasional evening and weekend hours required, which may include rotating on-call support. Ability to travel on public transportation or valid driver’s license with access to own car in good repair is required.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications and a current police information check (PIC) including vulnerable search at the applicant’s expense. The results of the PIC may alter or revoke any offer made by Mosaic PCN.
The Mosaic PCN (“MPCN”) is committed to the health and safety of its workforce and its patients. Therefore, the MPCN implemented the COVID-19 Immunization Policy requiring all staff, employees, and workers of the MPCN to be fully vaccinated by November 30, 2021. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment. Any MPCN employee who is unable to be immunized due to a medical reason, or for another protected ground under the Alberta Human Rights Act, will be reasonably accommodated, up to the point of undue hardship.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest and resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to proceed through the selection process will be contacted. No phone calls please.
For more information, including how to apply, please visit Mosaic Primary Care Network Career site at https://mosaicpcn.ca/careers/