Employer: Calgary Career Counselling and Synthesis Psychology
Job Type: Hourly Employee with Potential for Full-Time
Location: In-Person and Remote
Application Close Date: June 2nd, 2023
Position Start Date: August / September 2023
What You Should Know About Us:
Calgary Career Counselling (soon to be Canada Career Counselling in June) and Synthesis Psychology are partnered practices, working jointly from our offices in Calgary. The primary work of the successful candidate will be career counselling (an in-depth, explorative process with clients ages 16 to 65+ making career decisions and transitions). However, we also provide personal counselling for issues including anxiety, depression, self-esteem, etc., so the ability to support clients in these areas is important.
At Calgary Career Counselling, our mission is to support people in enhancing their career-related fulfillment and success. With work being such a significant part of people’s lives, we want to ensure our clients have the psychological support they require for any career related concerns and opportunities. We have helped thousands of people to determine and develop their ideal careers, make career transitions, and resolve career-related challenges.
Our core team of Career Counsellors are educated at the Master’s or Ph.D. level in psychology. We bring expertise and think strategically, creatively, and practically about career challenges and opportunities. We do this in a warm, empathetic, and confidential manner and our culture is welcoming, collaborative, and fun. We are passionate about helping each client make real, positive changes in their lives and tailor our approach to suit their unique needs. We believe career and life are closely tied and, while our clients approach us for support with career-related concerns, they often speak with us about other aspects of their lives, such as personal and mental health concerns. We take pride in being able to help our clients thrive in all their work and personal roles.
Joining our team means being part of an established practice that started in 2009 and now has offices from coast to coast, with whom we collaborate frequently. We are focused on continuing to develop our team of counsellors and are committed to growing the best offerings and services we can in the career development space across Canada.
We are serving our clients both in-person and virtually at our offices located in the heart of Calgary, currently in Kensington. As of May 30th, we will be moving to a bright office on the west side of downtown, with views of the Bow River and a block from the river walking trails.
What We Would Like to See from You:
Using your strong counselling skills, you will provide clients with career development and transition support, impacting both their personal and professional wellbeing. As this is a counselling position, your role will involve supporting clients as they develop their career identity and focus on their career and life path, rather than helping clients find/gain employment.
Delivering high quality support to clients through counselling sessions and psychological assessments is incredibly rewarding, as you witness your clients grow through professional momentum and personal fulfillment. There is great diversity in our client group, as each individual comes with a unique background. We work with clients aged 16-65+, with most of our clients already in the workforce (from entry level roles to professionals, executives, and entrepreneurs), but feeling stuck, unfulfilled, or uncertain about their careers. Your counselling will address both their career related and personal concerns.
Hours for this role will start as Part-Time, roughly 20 – 25 hours per week, with the goal of building to 30 – 40 hours per week, as your case load grows. A minimum of 60% of your working hours are client sessions, with the remaining hours comprised of inquiry calls, case/file management, consultations, meetings, and project work.
The Ideal Candidate Will:
- Hold a Master’s or Ph.D. in Counselling Psychology or another Psychology discipline
- Have experience in and a passion for career counselling
- Have experience and interest in providing personal counselling for issues related to career, such as stress management, confidence issues, career and life transitions, job loss, interpersonal struggles, and workplace bullying
- Be qualified and interested in (but not limited to) providing counselling to our Synthesis Psychology clients for issues including anxiety, depression, self-esteem, etc.
- Training on psychometric assessments is an asset.
- Be comfortable and efficient with using technologies for booking clients, team meetings, etc.
- Have strong verbal communication and active listening skills
- Be friendly and collaborative with others in the office
- Have excellent organizational and time management skills
- Have strong attention to detail
- Be conscientious, finish tasks, and respect deadlines
- Be accepting of feedback, open to new ideas and processes
Tasks and Responsibilities Include:
- Handling phone and web inquiries, providing interested individuals with information about our services and processes, signing on new clients whenever possible and appropriate
- Meeting with clients for a series of counselling sessions, supporting them through an individualized career counselling process and with related issues e.g. stress, anxiety, etc.
- Reviewing psychological career and life assessments and debriefing results with clients
- Following up with clients and helping them to stay engaged in the counselling process through regular communication
- Actively participating in supervisory meetings, case consultations as well as regular staff meetings
- Writing blog articles and other marketing pieces, as needed
- Potentially facilitating career/life related presentations and workshops
- Currently or eligible to become a Registered Provisional Psychologist with the College of Alberta Psychologists
- Available to work 20 – 25 hrs/week to start, including evening and weekend shifts, with the potential to work additional hours as case load grows
- Excellent English communication skills, spoken and written
- Relevant career counselling/coaching training, and experience
Supervision will be provided for career and personal counselling issues and approaches that our supervisors have as areas of competency. If our supervisors are not able to provide supervision for a specific therapeutic issue or modality, the Registered Provisional Psychologist will need to obtain external, CAP approved supervision.
Please email your Resume and Cover Letter to Aneta at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter please include why you are interested in working with Calgary Career Counselling and Synthesis Psychology, in a private practice setting, including your interest working with a specialization in career counselling and any relevant experience.