Advocacy in Alberta Psychology
Advocacy: Influencing people to create change – educating & mobilizing
Only with good information can good decisions be made
PAA spends over 1000 hours a year advocating for the unique value of psychology
It is a part of who we are:
The Psychologists’ Association of Alberta is the voice of, and for,
psychology in Alberta.
2020-2025 Strategic Plan point:
Advocate for psychology’s unique value
PAA also informs the public and the media, and advocates for consumers of psychotherapy, psychological, and mental health services.
As a PAA member, you have the opportunity to make a difference! You already have some of the key tools to be an effective advocate for your profession.
Advocacy as an individual’s or group’s action has the power to influence a political decision, build alliances, and open seats at tables where psychology’s voice should be heard.
PAA’s Advocacy Work
- Much of our advocacy work relates to the provincial government, with a strong focus before and after a provincial election.
- Ongoing engagement focuses on the unique value of psychology and building relationships with key stakeholder groups.
Why Psychologists’ Voices are Needed
- Psychologists help make Alberta a psychologically healthy place to live and work.
- Psychologists are uniquely trained in a vast amount of areas: program development, consultation, supervision, behavioural (non-pharmacological) pain management, telehealth, cross-jurisdiction expertise, etc.
- Psychologists have natural networks and spheres of influence for advocacy, with great potential to develop core relationships with key professionals.
How You Can Help
- Build relationships that promote your profession.
- Provide tools to elected officials to support the psychological health and wellness of Albertans.