Psychologists’ Association of Alberta
PAA’s Advocacy Work
- PAA spends over 1000 hours a year advocating for the unique value of psychology.
- Much of our advocacy work relates to the provincial government, with a strong focus before and after a provincial election.
- Ongoing engagement focuses on the unique value of psychology and building relationships with key stakeholder groups.
Why Psychologists’ Voices are Needed
- Psychologists help make Alberta a psychologically healthy place to live and work.
- Psychologists are uniquely trained in a vast amount of areas: program development, consultation, supervision, behavioural (non-pharmacological) pain management, telehealth, cross-jurisdiction expertise, etc.
- Psychologists have natural networks and spheres of influence for advocacy, with great potential to develop core relationships with key professionals.
How You Can Help
- Build relationships that promote your profession.
- Provide tools to elected officials to support the psychological health and wellness of Albertans.
- Assess the situation. Prepare a fact sheet and do your research.
- Plan for the target audience and objectives of your meeting.
- Contact PAA for public education materials.
- Act to implement your plan in person or online.
- Schedule a meeting.
- Write a direct, informative letter.
- Make a phone call to provide facts and a clear call to action.
More information: https://psychologistsassociation.ab.ca/advocacy/